Wednesday, October 24, 2012

You Don't Have To Agree With Me





I'm kinda obsessed right now with the idea of not having to agree with everything (or, really, anything) someone else says.  Yes, the presidential election is highlighting this, but I've always been obsessed with this concept. You know how all mothers have certain things they emphasize to their kids - and each mother has her own buttons?  Mine are, in no particular order:  Lying, giving back to the community, loyalty, manners, and learning how to disagree.

Kids come home with the weirdest ideas, whether heard on the internet or on the playground:  

"Mama, the Wright brothers were afraid of heights!"  

"Did you know we've never actually been to the moon?"  

"Dad!  Burps are contagious!"  

"Did you know cat fur is an ice cream flavor in China?!"  

At a certain age (*koff koff* middle school!), you canNOT convince the kids these things aren't true.  So, after trying ("Seriously, honey, Chinese children don't lick cat fur."), and after being shot down ("But MOM.  Joey heard it from Julia who's aunt actually WENT to China."), I would simply say, "Hmmm.  That's interesting."  NOT have a huge screaming argument with a prepubescent child in the middle of the kitchen.  

So whyWHY do adults do this with each other?!  I have several adult children now.  We have the best debates about, well, everything.  My oldest told me just last week, after discussing the last presidential debate in which we didn't really agree on much but had a fantastic conversation, that he tells his friends he loves discussing politics and religion with his parents.  Strange concept.  I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back - simply to say that, if I can have these conversations with my children, with whom I disagree on much, whyWHY can't this happen on a regular basis with my friends?

You love Romney?  Tell me why and I'll think that's interesting.  You think Obama is the bomb?  Tell me why and I'll think that's interesting.  You are an Independent and think the system stinks?  I want to learn more.  I never know what I'll learn from you, so tell me what you think.  Seriously.  At the end of that conversation, maybe you'll be interested in what I think.  

It could happen.

4 comments:

  1. Almost every single one of my friends is jealous that we're able to strongly disagree without fighting. It's really an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are an amazing thing. It takes two to be able to objectively discuss in this way. Thank you for that. Now don't forget to pass this concept on in this world. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like it, please share it. Why do I feel like you do this with your kids? :-)

    ReplyDelete